Friday 19 April 2013

Slowly Thawing Out

I thought Spring had finally arrived two days ago - puddles were everywhere along with potholes, birds were singing, snowbanks were getting smaller, and I even went to work one day without my winter coat and boots! I also happened to spy two intrepid motorcyclists this week - one was a dual sport with the rider all bundled up, and the other, one of those huge cruisers with two guys in leather jackets and 3/4 face helmets - I could see they had very red faces from the cold. 

Then it snowed again last night, covering all the previously exposed bits of road and lawn. I guess we all got a little too excited that we might actually be on our bikes on May 1, sigh...will it ever go away?



My Suzuki is still slumbering comfortably next to the snow blower which has seen a lot of action this winter. Apparently our city has broken a record for snowfall from the mid-1950s! Everyone here says it has been the longest winter of their lives. 

I think it will now be closer to June 1 for the first riding day. The thawing has exposed main streets that are full of tons of sand that was sprinkled over the winter for traction. It will take a good rainfall (perhaps more than one) before I will feel comfortable getting out on that slippery surface. Most of the side streets are still covered in snow ruts that will take out your suspension or strand you if you choose the wrong path. 

I have told my coworkers that I am done, done with shoveling until December 1. Then I remembered we have to still move snow away from the house so that when it does start to melt faster, we will not have a flooded basement. My husband has decided he will have to buy some new shovels and a roof rake in the fall, they are all completely done too after so much use. I will even have to buy a new ice scraper for my car, the edge is gone, it just doesn't work anymore.

It's that time of year, when in the morning you are walking very gingerly down the sidewalk covered in ice (know of a few people who have broken wrists, legs and arms from a spill), but then by the afternoon, those same puddles are wet and I'm skipping through them like a six year old. 



So, that has been my moto report for the month. I will be visiting my fellow moto-bloggers sites to keep up with their news, just have been extremely busy lately with work stuff and collapse into bed at the end of the day.

Wishing you all a good day in your part of the world!

Suzu 

10 comments:

  1. Suzu:

    We heard about your snow storm on the tube (ie: LED flat screen) the other day. Hard to believe that you're still in Winter mode.

    Out here we don't know about your "snow" things, and having to shovel the snow away from the house, or about removing snow from your roof because of the weight.

    In Newfoundland most houses have doors many feet above the ground. We couldn't figure it out but they get a lot of snow and eventually that door would be at "ground" level. If your door was on the ground, then you would need to tunnel your way out.

    My snow shovel is probably 25 years old, with dinged corners but still usable. Didn't need to use it this year. This is one of our mildest winters in a long time

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hard to believe it's still winter today too as I head out to help with a barbeque for work! And, it is snowing this morning! That will be two sweaters with the winter coat and I'll have to be careful not to get ketchup on my gloves! Yesterday was so nice I was hoping it would stay for today too, oh well, thank goodness for free coffee! Have a great day bob.

      Delete
  2. Ick blah on more snow. I thought you'd be snow free by now, but I guess it is Saskatchewan......

    Pouring rain for us today, but I can't complain, I don't have to shovel it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are getting hit with snow again today...with any luck the temperature will warm up and melt it as fast as it hits the pavement.

      You will have nice clean roads with all your rain, please send it up my way! Have a good weekend riding, surely it can't rain all weekend!

      Delete
  3. I do not miss the snow at all. I used to live in Northern BC and our climate was very much like yours. I hope never to live in a snowbound land again. Hope it melts quick and you get on your gladi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Northern BC can be just the same, can't it? I used to know people who lived for a bit near Tumbler Ridge and the 4X4's were always dialed in to get around.

      Yesterday was about 4 C (39 F), melting and sunny out, it was a lovely day! It will be a two steps forward, one step back process as it's snowing again this morning with the temp at about -3 C (26 F). My gladi is getting dusty with all the waiting! Enjoy your riding this weekend for me!

      Delete
  4. Open face helmets in that weather .. not die hards just crazies!!

    You do realise that every time you post up all those awesome snow pics a get a yearning to be cold ... sorry I really do hope it warms up soon for you I just wish I could be there with you right at this moment ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard someone out yesterday on a dual sport just having a blast even with the windchill at -10 and very windy! I was bundled up in two layers with a scarf over most of my face and a toque and I was cold on my walk with my dog. People are getting desperate here to get back out on their bikes and will ride through anything eh?

    We are on opposite sides of the weather extreme you and I. You want to be where I am, and I would love to be where you are with a pair of sandals and capris and just, just a t-shirt.

    This morning it is -14 C with a -20 windchill. And I just checked my car, it's covered in ice, I'll be working on those Suzuki muscles as I scrape that ice off again... Remember we were talking about keeping fit for the riding season by doing regular household chores? You should check out my arms! Just kidding, but they are kept stronger to hold up the Suzuki because of all the scraping.

    I just watched a show on Discovery Channel called "Wild Australia", fabulously beautiful scenery, Jurassic trees and running water (by the Blue Mountains I think), and I thought of you burning up the road on your Shadow among all of that. Have a great day Brenda!

    Suzu

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't help thinking that this is what spring used to be like in the old days (I remember not being allowed to go barefoot until June.) It's just that we've become spoiled by the unnaturally early and warm springs the past few years. Next weekend I get the Star out of storage - it's the latest I've ever left it. But two weeks ago we were recovering from a late winter storm... and now four days - low 20s. It's crazy. The leaves just started to pop out yesterday and I'm sure the grass grew three inches in three days. BELIEVE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard that people who are 90 years old and have lived in Saskatchewan all their lives, cannot ever remember a winter being this long...thankfully the snow has melted now and we're waiting for the sweepers to take away all that gravel that is just everywhere on our roads here. Our buds are still in hibernation so far, looking forward to more green as the temp warms up.

    Hope that you have had a chance to get a few good rides on the Star since you wrote!

    ReplyDelete